INGREDIENTS FOR QUINOA
1 cup water
1/2 cup rinsed, white or tri-colour quinoa (rinsed and drained)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon HSS Fried Rice Seasoning
Pinch salt and pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR SPICED VEGGIES
1 Tbsp olive oil + 1 teaspoon
1/4 teaspoon HSS Jollof Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/2 each of red and yellow peppers (diced)
1/4 cup pitted green olives rinsed
1/4 cup spring onions
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp vinaigrette
- In a medium pot, over high heat, add rinsed quinoa, salt, olive oil, HSS Fried Rice Seasoning, water and stir well. Bring to a boil on a low heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes. Set timer.
- Check quinoa- making sure all the water is dried and steam holes appear and quinoa and looks dry.) It is important that quinoa is dryish and not watery to enable rolling. While it’s still warm, stir the quinoa vigorously with a fork, for a one whole minute, until you
begin to see the individual grains break apart. This is necessary to getting the quinoa to bind.
- Remove from stove, let cool down in the pot to where it is cool enough to handle with your hands (about 15 minutes).
Using wet hands, shape into 4 balls, the size of a tennis ball. Place on a plate or sheet pan. Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Using wet hands press into a 1 – 1 1/2-inch-thick cake (about 3-4 inches wide), smoothing any cracks on the edges, making them nice and tidy. Wet hands are key. Refrigerate 15 minutes to set. As the quinoa cakes cool, they will become even more sturdy.
- Gently place quinoa unto an oven tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes.
- Make the spiced veggies by heating olive oil in a small pot and sauté the garlic.
- Add the HSS Jollof Seasoning (careful not to allow it burn). Deglaze with 2 Tbsp water, add salt, chilli flakes, pitted olives, and bell peppers. Mix well and cover to simmer for 2 minutes. Uncover and take off heat.
- Blanch asparagus in hot salted water on the stovetop for 3 minutes. Take off heat and place in cold water to stop cooking.
- Place a frying pan in heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil and toss in the asparagus until well coated. Spoon out. Using the same pan, toss in the spring onions, once coated spoon out.
- Assemble quinoa cakes on plate with spiced veggies, asparagus, spring onions. Garnish with chopped dill and vinaigrette of choice.